Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 29, 2007

Can God? God Can!

God Can Make a Sin-sick Heart Clean

Today I'm going to start a series on the things God can do. This springs from the services we had at church yesterday. During the morning service my dad sang a song called "I Know a Man Who Can" and it was requested for him to sing it again in the evening service. The song isn't a new one to me. I've heard it all of my life, but the words are just so powerful. So, based on my inspiration from the song I'm going to start this series.
Today I'm going to talk about how God CAN make a sin-sick heart clean. Amazing to think about isn't it? Whether you are a sinner who has never confessed to God, or a Christian who has failed Him, your sins can be forgiven and erased. AS IF THEY NEVER HAPPENED.
Over the past few weeks I've been painting my bathroom. A process that would be speedier if I was a brilliant trim painter. Anyway, since I've been painting I've been spending a bit of time cleaning brushes. I rinse them out and rinse them out and try my hardest to remove all traces of paint from those brushes. However, no matter how hard I try, I can't remove all the paint. The white tips on my brushes are still stained a wine color and a sage green color. I can't erase the fact that the brushes have now been used.
Just as I can't remove all the paint from the brushes, I can't remove all the sin from my own life. There is nothing that I could ever do in my own power to make my heart clean. No, God has to do that. David talks a bit about this in Psalm 51:1-10:

"1Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."


David goes through this elaborate confession to God. He admits that he is a sinner. He admits that he was born that way. He knows that the only way to overcome his sin is to have God completely recreate his heart.
We all need that recreated heart. We were all born sinners. And whether the sin is telling a white lie or murdering someone, there is nothing we can do to cover it. We can't even wash away the smallest sin from our lives.
The Life Application Bible has this note:

"Because we are sinners, our natural inclination is to please ourselves rather than God...we must ask God to cleanse us from within, clearing our hearts and spirits for new thoughts and desires. Right conduct can only come from a clean heart and spirit."

"Right conduct can only come from a clean heart and spirit." And a clean heart and spirit can only come from God. Otherwise, why would He have sent His only Son to die for us? His Son's sacrafice was our only way to be made pure.
Paul liked to use the word blameless (I Thessalonians 5:23). Think about it. No matter what you've done you can be called blameless. All that you have to do is confess your sins, and He will forgive your sins and make you new. Check out this verse from I John 1:9:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Cleansed from all unrighteousness. That's how He wants each and every one of us to be. He offered His forgiveness to all men. We just have to accept it and claim it.
God CAN make a sin-sick heart clean. The question is can you trust Him to cleanse you?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather GREAT Lesson. Your last statement I think is where we as Christians have the most trouble. CAN YOU TRUST HIM TO CLEANSE YOU? So often we confess a sin, confess it again and again and again the same sin, SO therefore we have an authority problem. We do our part in repenting but we apparently don't think God is doing his part, which is forgive, because we keep asking again on the same sin. Our sin of unbelief is just as serious as the sin we are confessing. We are not in faith believing that God has done his part and forgiven, but he will, If we confess, he is faithful and just to FORGIVE. We get relief when we take God at his word..Just like Luke 5:20 -24 where he says" Friend your sins are forgiven....I tell you GET UP, take up your bed and WALK... in other words , don't keep asking ... recieve it .it is there. You are forgiven..

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

Amen. I'm so thankful for this truth! And, I love painting, but hate the clean-up part. Loved your inspirational things you shared on my post:)

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that song too. My husband's family group have been singing it since the day of the dinosaour. lol

great post.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know - sometimes it boggles my mind why God would do that. Cleanse me from within - I just have to accept it. He takes me the way I am...
Thank you for sharing, Heather. You words are beautiful to hear :)

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello today!! I had week three tonight of Beth Moore's Bible study: Believing God.....how simple it is to believe God yet how difficult we can make it.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Great illustration, Heather. Paintbrushes - grrrr. I always make such a mess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home