Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 28, 2005

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

Christmas is one of my favorite times of year, so of course I LOVE Christmas Carols. I've decided to talk about some of my favorite carols in the next couple of weeks. I must admit that I stole the idea from Mercy Me. I got to go to their Christmas concert Saturday night, and Bart told the story of I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. It touched me so much that I had to share it.
The song was written during the Civil War. Now that period was probably one of the bleakest in American history. So why was anyone writing Christmas carols? Well on Christmas day the fighting stopped. The Christmas bells were rung and for one day there was peace. For 24 hours hatred did not reign. In a time of pain and death, all were reminded of the one who would forever live. They were reminded that God is not dead, that He had not forgotten them, and that peace would one day rule on earth.
This touched me because we live in hard times. We see suffering in every direction, but God is still alive. He isn't asleep.
So while you are bustling through the Christmas season, remember the Savior who came on Christmas Day. He came to bring the peace the angels sang about in Luke 2. He came to bring the peace that Isaiah spoke about in Isaiah 65:25:
The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.
One day death and destruction will come to an end. Christmas reminds us that Jesus came to overcome this world. Take the time to thank Him during this Christmas season.

3 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Mike Duran said...

As much as people try to remove Christ from Christmas, any rudimentary examination of history reveals His presence. That's what I love about Christmas -- somehow, people must inevitably confront Christian concepts. My favorite carol is "O Holy Night." Whatcha know about that one, Heather?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Shaggy and Scout said...

Hi Heather: I bugged the other Heather trying to tell you two apart, I figured same first names, ok, but even the same last names....! I think I made it harder than it really is!! I've been browsing your blog and enjoy it very much. You write well, presenting your material in logical easy to read format. This from me, a journalism major who didn't take my degree anywhere! Keep it up. I'll keep reading. Lynne

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Spock said...

WHAT?!?!?! Another concert you didn't take your name twin to?!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home