Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 13, 2006

He's On Top of That

Have you ever watched the movie Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead? It's a pretty funny movie about a single mom that leaves the country for the summer and leaves her children in the care of an elderly babysitter.
The babysitter dies, and the kids decide not to tell anyone because they don't feel they need a babysitter. The oldest gets a job in "the real world" to keep up with the bills after she realizes that all of the money that their mom left for the summer was left on the babysitter's dead body at the funeral home. She made up a false resume and got a job as an executive secretary for a very flighty boss named Rose.
One of her Rose's only requirements was for the girl to say, "I'm right on top of that, Rose." whenever Rose was on the phone with someone important. The movie shows how the girl comes to find out that she truly wasn't "Right on top" of anything. She ended up realizing that she wasn't quite ready to live in the real world yet, and that she wanted to go to college.
I heard a message the other day that made me think about how much I'm like that. I rush around on my own trying to act like I'm on top of everything. I act like I have everything covered, and sometimes I may seem to have it together for a while.
But then things start to fall apart. I forget to do this, or I forget to cover that. Or a storm comes, and I start to sink. What I need to remember is that I don't have to be on top of everything. That's Jesus' job.
Just like the girl in the movie realized that she wasn't ready to fill shoes as big as her mom's, I need to realize that I could never, ever fill the place of Christ in my life. I could never do His job, and any attempt that I make to take over the reigns of my life will only end in disaster.
Think about the story of Jesus walking on the water in Matthew 14:22-32. The disciples were out in the middle of the sea, and a huge storm came up. They were doing all that they could to stay afloat. I'm sure they were dumping buckets of water left and right. They were probably tying down everything they could. Then Jesus came walking out on the water.
Take a moment to let that really sink in. Jesus didn't come walking out on top of a glassy, smooth sea (though that still would have been a miracle. I sure couldn't do it.) Jesus came walking out on the storm tossed waves. He was walking ON TOP of the waves. He was walking ON TOP of what was troubling the disciples.
The disciples looked at the waves as something that would bring their end. But Jesus looked at the waves as something UNDER HIS FEET.
I spoke last week about how Jesus sent the disciples into this storm and and about how he called Peter to walk with Him on the water and how He calmed the storm. But even before the winds ceased, the disciples should have known that everything was going to be okay. Because the One who had performed countless miracles before them was walking on top of their storm and straight to them.
So no matter what you are going through today, remember that Jesus is on top of that, and that you don't have to be afraid!

3 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Heather, what a great post. I've missed you!

 
At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this flic, but it sounds like a great way for my family to spend the upcoming rainy days.

Kids Furniture Crazy

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

This is a great post! And yes, I've seen the movie! It's from the early 90's? I think... Christina Applegate I think was the girl...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home