Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 30, 2006

The Parable of the Lost Phone

Yesterday I had that yucky, sinking feeling that you get when you've lost something valuable. See, I couldn't find my cell phone. I know, I know, a cell phone is a material object that can be replaced, but it's an expensive object to replace, so I needed to find it. I even asked for prayer about it yesterday in Sunday School. (Yes, I even pray about the small things like losing my cell phone.)
I looked all around my house, calling my phone to see if I could hear it ring. I had my mom and dad check their house, and they called it to see if they could hear it ring. I checked my car and my brother's car. I checked everywhere. Then I decided to go searching outside at my parents because I'd had my hands full when I got into my brother's car on Saturday night.
Sure enough, there was my phone on the ground beside where my brother's car had been parked. There wasn't anything wrong with it. So I rejoiced. I called the people that had been helping me look for my phone to rejoice with me.
Now, my phone may not mean much to you. And in the major picture, it doesn't mean much, but Jesus told a parable kind of like my phone parable in Luke 15. He told several actually. He told the parable of the lost sheep (Luke 15:1-7), the parable of the lost coin, (Luke 15:8-10), and the parable of the lost son (Luke 15:11-32).
Now like I said before, my cell phone may not mean much to you. Just like the sheep in the first parable or the coin in the second parable may not have meant much to the people of Jesus' day. After all you have to lose something yourself to understand that deep sinking feeling.
But Jesus used the loss of such small things to point out that all of us are lost. All of us need to be found, and that no matter how small and insignificant we may feel, we are still important to God. We are still worth finding. And there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels over EVERY soul that repenteth.
They don't wait and have a party for every thousand souls that cry out for salvation. They don't have "hundred soul" shindigs. They rejoice about every individual soul. Because every individual soul is important.
You are important. If you are a lost soul today, Christ wants you to come home to Him. Just like that lost son in Luke 15, all you have to do is realize that you have done wrong. Just come to Jesus, and He will wrap you in His arms, and He will forgive everything you've ever done.
And there will be rejoicing in the presence of the angels over you today!!