Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Martha and Mary in Me

I'm down to the last 12 days of my Bible in 90 Days reading. It seems like Satan is trying his hardest to keep me busy to keep me from accomplishing my goal. The last several nights I haven't gone to bed until after midnight because I was doing my Bible reading.
But the more I read, the more I'm blessed. I was especially blessed on Monday night when I read this passage from Luke 10:

38Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
39And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
40But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.


I think God brought me to this passage at this very time for a reason. This week and last week have been insane, and I feel like I can understand Martha so well. I have so many good intentions, but there are meals to cook, dishes to wash, clothes to clean, cat and dog fights to break up, a job to go to, etc, etc, etc. And my Bible reading time gets pushed later and later.
And I'm thinking, I really could read this tomorrow...
But Jesus' words at the end of this chapter are just what I needed to hear. The only thing that is truly NEEDFUL is my relationship with Christ, my time spent drawing closer to Him. THAT is the ONLY thing that really matters.
The other things don't matter at all in the eternal scheme of things. Now I'm not condoning laziness or anything, but I need to get to the point where if I only have time to do one thing, that I always pick the thing that matters most in my relationship with Christ. If it's between reading my Bible or vacuuming a floor, I should read the Bible.
I need to be like Mary and learn to spend time at Jesus' feet even when there are other things I could be doing. I need to focus on the eternal and not the temporal!

5 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

"...if I only have time to do one thing, that I always pick the thing that matters most in my relationship with Christ." That is an awesome statement. I think the key word for me in that sentence is the word "relationship with Christ", and that I be careful not to substiture "works" or "duties" in the place of my relationship, getting to know my God and Savior. Awesome reminder, Heather!

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, How I needed this today. I too struggle to do my daily bible reading and prayer time. So many things to get done during a day and the hours just seem to fly. I find that I must do my reading early in the morning, but here lately I have slept later and not done it. Thanks for the reminder that my time with Jesus is more important , yes more important that my sleep. Thanks!!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Hi Heather, I just wanted to stop in and wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Somehow, I think you'll have a great time with your family.

Life's been busy, so I hope to check in a bit more next week when I'm not at school.

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTG Heather! I know you'll finish!

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are blessed by this reading, Heather. I know I have been. I just finished my "almost annual" read through the Bible in 90 days. It has certainly changed my life.

Blessings,
Ted Cooper Jr.
www.biblein90days.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home