Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Break Those Chains - Freedom in the Walk

Freedom in Truth

When my brother and I were little, we hated chewable Tylenol (aka edible chalk for children.) I mean HATED. To the point that we began to hide the Tylenol under our tongues and then find a convenient spot to get rid of them because there was no way we were chewing those nasty things.
Me, I was smart enough to spit mine into a trashcan or something. Not Ben. He hid his behind his dresser, which I guess would have been okay had mom intended to leave our furniture in the same place for all of eternity. That however, has never been my mom's style. She can't stand to keep furniture in the same place for long.
So the day came that she got bored with the way our room was set up. And she moved the dresser, and there behind it was a small pile of chewable Tylenol. She was like no wonder you weren't getting any better.
Now, we got into trouble of course for wasting the Tylenol and lying to mom about taking them. But once the truth was out, we were set free. She started giving us half of a regular Tylenol from that point on. All you had to do was take a tiny swig of water and swallow it. No more chalk-like pills for us.
As I've grown, I realize that at times, part of that little pill-hiding child is still in me. I still want to cover the bad things I do at times. I still want to act like everything is fine. But finally I realize that things are so much easier when I'm honest.
The truth sets me free. If I'm honest with God about the wrong things I've done, He says He will forgive me (I John 1:9). And that is a promise I can rest in as truth.
You see, Jesus said in John 14:6 that He is the truth. And in John 8:32 He says:

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Knowing Christ leads me to a different life. A life set apart from the world. A life that uses God's Word as a standard. A life of freedom.
A life of freedom found in God's truth. A life that is free indeed. (John 8:36)
You too can rest in that freedom. Break those chains by trusting in God's truth today.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

It is so freeing confessing what we've done wrong to the Lord!

Great post Heather!

Happy valentine's day!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

There is such freedom in truth! Don't know why we even bother hiding! It's not about hiding from the consequences, it's about enjoying the freedom of being known!

Diane

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit - some times I like to hid my personal 'Tylenol' under my tongue too, but for some reason He always finds them...I feel much better after I confess. You know, the silly thing is - He know everything anyway - so why am I still hiding things from Him is beyond me...

Thank you for sharing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home