Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Keep Your Eyes Open - Wisdom in the Walk

You Have to See the Path

This past Sunday, I taught the ladies at my church about wisdom in the walk. This is something that God put on my mind last Sunday night. I was reading this verse in Ephesians 5:15:

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,"

Walk circumspectly? I pondered what that meant for a while. It means to always be on the lookout. Never let your guard down. Don't walk around in la-la land, totally oblivious to the things going on around you!
And why shouldn't we do that? Because we have an enemy out there who wants to destroy us! I Peter 5:8 puts it this way:

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"

The devil wants to devour us. He doesn't want us to be successful Christians. He wants to see each and everyone of us fall. So he puts potholes all along the path of life in order to trip us up.
A few years back my sister and brother-in-law bought a bassett hound named Copper. He's a pretty sweet dog, but when he was just a pup, he liked to dig holes. Not deep holes, holes just deep enought to trip you up.
The problem is that when he was in his hole digging stage he lived at my house. There is one hole that I've almost broken my ankle in about 900 times. The problem is that the hole is just out of the reach of the porchlight. If I could see the hole, I wouldn't trip in it at night.
The thing is that I keep tripping in the SAME hole. I know it's there, but in the darkness, I can never judge exactly where it is. Satan works in our lives the same way. He KNOWS our weaknesses, and he tries to use them to bring us down. The only way we can avoid those potholes he puts in our paths is to shine the light on them.
That light is God's Word. Psalm 119:105 says this:

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

God's Word is a light for our way. When we use God's Word to light our path, we see the potholes Satan has put in our way BEFORE we trip in them. If we are staying in God's Word, we will know temptation when we see it, and we will avoid it with the wisdom we have gained from God's Word.
So use wisdom in your walk and keep the light on the path!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Thanks for defining what walking circumspectly means, Heather. We do need to realize that we have an enemy waiting to devour us at any opportunity. I think the church today needs a major revelation of that, including myself. I'm sure if we really understood that our Christian walk would take on a whole new aspect.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

hehe, makes me think of all those people who raise lighters at rock concerts... that's what we need to do with Jesus!
Funny you brought this up, my ladies retreat weekend was about being salt and light of the earth!
hugs and prayers!
Amy

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, here Copper finally made your blog. Oh his little dog heart will just swell with pride!!!!!LOL!!! Good post,Heather. If I haven't told you lately I am proud of you!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Oh, I've tripped in those holes before.

Great devotional, Heather.

Thanks.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! I've missed reading your post. I've missed talking to you :) That was an amazing post! I just love the song Thy Word and I have a feeling everytime I hear it I'll think of you and this post!

♥ me

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

The way I see it, if the devil is on your back then he must consider you a worthy opponent/a challenge. That should be a confidence builder. It means that he acknowledges your strengths, even if he does not acknowledge the One who gives you the strength.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home