Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Not My Own

Last night our group practiced at mine and my brother's house. Though it's a great place to practice, it really isn't a very fun place for my niece and nephew to play because the supply of toys at my house is seriously lacking. Actually it's limited to just a few toys that were left behind when my sister moved out.
We have one of the rings that goes on one of those stackable ring things, a toy cell phone, a door from the Dora Explorer house and a Mickey Mouse book. That's it. That is all we have.
Add to this equation a two year old and a one year old. And the two year old really doesn't like to share phones. She really has an obsession with phones, especially Princess phones that belong to her.
In the course of the evening my two year old niece put the phone down and went to find something to play with (read: go somewhere she wasn't supposed to be.)
At this time, my one year old nephew innocently crawled to where the phone was and picked it up. My niece was not happy with this at all. She tried to take it away from him, but he is suprisingly strong for a one year old, and he held on tight and wouldn't give up the phone. My niece began to cry, and my sister had to tell her that she needed to share. She had put the phone down, and she would have to wait until my nephew was finished with it. She didn't like this, but she finally resigned herself to the fact that she wasn't getting the phone back.
All kids have to learn to give up their selfish tendencies. They have to learn that it's a good thing to share. They have to learn that other people's feelings are important.
But there are many times when I'm just like my niece. Though I'm 24 years old many times I act like a two year old. No, I don't kick and scream and pitch a fit, but on the inside I dig my feet in and sing a tune of "I Shall Not Be Moved." I try my hardest to hold onto my wants and desires though I know that I should truly leave them in God's hands.
I thought about this while I was reading this verse from I Corinthians 6:19-20 this morning, "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. "
Did you see that? I am not my own. When I was saved and the Holy Spirit came into my life, all that I am became His. My life is now to do His will and glorify Him. So I need to become more and more like Him and use my life to bring Him glory. If I walk with Him day by day, I will draw closer to Him, and I will be more willing to follow His perfect will for my life.
Just as my niece will eventually learn that sharing is good, I will realize that God's will is truly best at all times. I just hope that for both of us we learn sooner rather than later!
How about you? Is your life bringing Him glory? Or have you joined in on the chorus of "I Shall Not Be Moved"?

10 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

I hate how selfish I am. It is amazing how selfish and proud I am, how little I think of others and of God. I'm glad that I'm not my own, that I'm not ON my own, that I don't get everything I want. Will I ever grow out of toddlerhood?
By the way, that is a pretty pathetic toy supply. You should stop at a few yard sales and fill up a laundry basket with fun stuff:)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Another blogger was talking about this very thing today...acting like a child with God (and not the innocent, loving kind of child!). So often I don't want to do what He wants me to, so I just refuse. Really mature, huh? Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Very good post! It's amazing how often we do act like little children when the Lord asks us to give something up.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger boomama said...

Seems like God has put this on several of our hearts at the same time. Interesting, huh?

And the first part of your post reminded me of when my nephews came to visit us before we had a baby, and they walked around for about 30 minutes, then looked at me and said, "Um. Where do you keep your toys?" :-)

We had NOTHING. Nada. Bless their hearts.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Ummmm ... I'm not sure I have any toys age-appropriate for a two year old!! Should I pick up a few?

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Fred said...

What's worse is when you have enough toys, and they want more. I guess that's a different lesson altogether.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that Raegan's selfishness can add up to some good. Guess I need to remember when we are in the next big tamtrum that you may just have a really good post that comes from it!!!!! Lova ya!!!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, christian louboutin, louboutin outlet, louboutin, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, tiffany and co, prada outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, michael kors outlet, ugg boots clearance, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, nike shoes, burberry outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg outlet, ray ban sunglasses, cheap uggs, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

mulberry, new balance pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, hollister, nike free pas cher, hogan outlet, polo lacoste, abercrombie and fitch, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, north face, nike air force, longchamp, kate spade handbags, lululemon outlet online, air max pas cher, polo ralph lauren, true religion jeans, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, sac guess, hollister, sac burberry, nike air max, michael kors, coach factory outlet, true religion outlet, air jordan, sac hermes, coach purses, coach outlet, north face, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, oakley pas cher, air max, nike roshe run pas cher, timberland, michael kors uk, ralph lauren, nike roshe, nike free, nike tn, air max, nike blazer, louboutin, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

instyler, abercrombie, wedding dresses, beats by dre, baseball bats, mont blanc, soccer shoes, jimmy choo outlet, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, ray ban, new balance shoes, soccer jerseys, hollister clothing store, p90x, herve leger, louboutin, insanity workout, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, nike huaraches, vans shoes, mcm handbags, converse, longchamp, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, air max, birkin bag, oakley, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, north face jackets, hollister, reebok outlet, timberland boots, gucci, converse shoes, celine handbags, air max, giuseppe zanotti, north face outlet, nike trainers, vans, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, ghd, nfl jerseys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home