Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Place to Rest

Last night I braved the winds and rains here in NC to go to Rooms to Go. I've been looking for a new bed, and I finally decided on this one:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And I went out to buy it. So last night I was thinking a lot about rest. Physical rest that is.
See, my mattress isn't in the greatest condition anymore, and I needed a new one that would help me to get a more restful sleep. (At least that's what I hope it does!!) I mean I sleep, but it's not always the best sleep.
That got me to thinking about spiritual rest. Christ tells us to come to Him, and He will give us rest (Matthew 11:28)
But how many of us are truly taking full advantage of that rest? Are we giving Him our problems but still tossing and turning about how He'll handle them? Christ doesn't want us to continue struggling. He wants us to rest. He wants us to sleep sweetly in the knowledge that He is in full control.
So the question is, how are you resting? Are you sleeping in the sweet peace of God's control, or are you tossing and turning and trying to handle things yourself?

8 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Silly Question!!!!! :)

Just teasing--I meant...GREAT question! Yes, I pray, I pray, I pray....and then I go about micro-managing God's answer! What a mess I make of things.

To rest: to surrender to His ways....and His plan for my life. Interesting idea! You have such wisdom! I am thankful for your post!

Happy (restful) Thanksgiving!

Diane

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Heather, I love that you can find a lesson in every day things!

I'm trying very hard to rest in God's promises and wait for His answers...not go ahead on my own. It's not always easy!

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why I try to "fix" things on my own instead of letting go, but I think I'm slooowly learning, it's much easier and it's the right way to handle problems to just put it in God's hands and know He's in control.

Great post! As always :)
♥ Dawn

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Hmmm, I notorious for handing things to the Lord and then grabbing them back at the first opportunity. It's definitely as growing thing and a concscious thing for me to do, this resting in Him, as I was raised with the "God helps those who help themselves" philosophy which makes me try to do things in my own strength way too often. Great post, Heather. I need to hear this often.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

If it would just occur to me to go to Him first, instead of after a night spent tossing and turning. Sigh.

Thanks, Heather, and Happy Thanksgiving (and Happy Dreams)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

Oh, beautiful Bed! I like it. I'm so glad God is a god who offers rest. May we all take advatage of that. Happy Thanksgiving, Heather!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Heather. Have a great holiday.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
HAVE A GOD BLESSED
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND.
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home