Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 09, 2007

God's Perfect Provision

Luke 12:6-7
"6Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
7But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."


I've always loved these verses. Sparrows apparently weren't of much financial value to men back in the Bible days. Five of them could be sold for about two cents. Yet God has never forgotten one of them. He knows just where every single sparrow is. He provides food for each and every one.
Now you may think that's not a very big thing, but have you ever stopped to think about how many sparrows there are. I mean, there have to be millions on top of millions of them. More sparrows than even the richest man in the world could ever think about providing food for. Yet, God knows each one of them, and you know what? I haven't seen a sparrow coming up to any birdfeeders lately carrying a sign that said, "Hungry, need bird seed."
And the thing is that we mean so much more to God than any sparrow ever could. We are His children, and He has promised to take care of us. When I was little, I used to wonder why then that so many are out there starving and in want.
Then I came to realize that first off, maybe, just maybe God wants us to be His means of provision to them. That's why there are wonderful orginizations such as World Vision and Compassion International. But these orginizations can only give to those willing to accept their help.
Then I've also come to realize that in the case of some, they have chosen other things over the provision of God. In other words, some choose to use the money they receive for a bottle of alcohol or just one more hit of heroine rather than using it to buy food.
Either way, God is providing, it's just a matter of whether people choose to accept the provision. The thing is that sparrows, as created creatures with no souls or free wills do just what God intended them to do. They eat seeds, they drop seeds and they help in the process of keeping things growing.
We as humans on the other hand do have a free will. And with that free will, we can choose to follow God's perfect will and walk in His provision, or we can choose to do our own thing. Either way, we matter to God. Either way He loves us. But there is only one way where things are truly going to work out for our good.
So as you live your life today, ask yourself whether you are walking in the way that's best or in the way that's going to bring you pain.

5 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Oh! My! Goodness! What an insightful post! Filled with such truth. We just had a conversation with our son a few days back about this very choice. Using the analogy of two highways.....one going north...filled with provisions...and the other going south....filled with void and self-reliance. Here I am, searching for meaningful, tangible illustrations to explain to my own son, the same age as you.....something that you have discovered already!!!!

Yes, which path will we choose this day! Great question to ask each day as we awake.

Blessings!

Diane

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

I love those verses too. All the time I spend on my hair... coloring, cutting, styling, but God knows more than I do, even about my hair. I could maybe count my grey hairs (there are about 3 so far), but God knows how many altogether. Any why? How is that information useful? It isn't, but it is precious to God because it is information about me. Who else would want to know me that intimately? No one. God is so good.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post..and yes that is one of my favorite verses too! I am so glad and blessed with you back and writing. Wow I've missed these post!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Beautiful Heather! This verse has always amazed me! That God loves us so much!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

"..they drop seeds.." and those seeds are usually encased in droppings, if you know what I mean. :-)

On a related note: Take the dung of this world and use it to fertilize your spiritual garden to bring forth more fruit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home