Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Living Peaceably

I've been doing a lot of praying lately about a situation. A situation that sometimes makes me so angry I want to scream (because screaming IS the answer to problems, you know.) Anyway, I've run the situation over and over in my mind, trying to figure out if there is someway that you can brainwash a person to just DO THE RIGHT THING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
But as much as I've thought about it, I've come to realize that no, I can't change anyone. I can only change myself (with God's help.) And I must leave the rest in God's hands. I also woke up with a passage of Scripture in my head this morning that I know came from God.
The passage is Romans 12:17-19:

17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.


Now, I must admit, I offered up a few, "But God's" when this verse came to mind. But the thing is that God was trying to remind me that someone else's wrong, doesn't excuse me when I do wrong on top of it.
My responsibility is to keep peace on my side of things. My responsibility is not to return hateful remarks for those aimed at me. My responsibility is to place it in God's hands and know that the Lord will take care of the situation in His time and His way.
Now I'm sure that God will have to keep replaying these verses in my head over the weeks, months, probably years to come. But that is my goal. I'm going to be the peaceful one. I'm going to choose my words prayerfully. And I'm going to put it all in God's hands.
And a few prayers from you guys that I'd keep these verses in mind wouldn't hurt at all!

3 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Way to work this out. I am so with you...there are things that make you want to scream! There oughta be a gospel song entitled, "Scream out to Jesus!"--it'd be a hit!

I love how you have used Scripture in a very tangible way to work out a very human temptation. Almost a need...when we've been injured or offended....our need to respond in kind is almost innate. But you are walking in the Spirit....not the flesh.....so you are on the right path!

Surrender! I think it's a great lesson, one that you will use over and over again as you parent your little girl!

Great post!

Diane

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

nothing...absolutley nothing.. is worse than conflict. or watching someone walk a bad road. whatever the situation, sounds like you've got the right idea.
Wow, you're getting close to baby time! how exciting!!

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'm still amazed at how your post hit home with me so many times! I just love reading your blogs.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home