Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 23, 2006

No Room on the Sidelines

Have you ever watched the sidelines of a basketball game? There are a seemingly endless number of players sitting on the bench who never even take off their warm-up suits. I feel kind-of sorry for them. I mean they never get to play unless of course the team is up by 50 points, and the coach decides to let them play for maybe a minute at the end of the game.
But have you ever noticed, those bench-warmers celebrate the victory just as if they'd gained it on their own.
There are Christians just like that. Christians who do nothing more but sit on the pew. They listen to one obligatory sermon a week and feel they've done their part.
They don't sing. They don't preach. They do nothing for the shut-ins. They don't come to church clean-up day. They are nothing more than spectators.
Yet, when the church is praised, they speak up and say, "That's my church."
Christ didn't call us to sit on pews. He called us to work. He called us to build His kingdom.
Not everyone is going to be sent to the ends of the earth for missions. Your job may be as simple as greeting new people that come into your church, or picking up pieces gum paper that litter the pews after a service.
Christ simply asks that we have a servant's heart. A heart willing to do WHATEVER He asks of us. I want to be like the servant in Matthew 24, "44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. 45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? 46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing."
I want to be found active in Christ's work when He returns. Being important in the world's standards is not my goal. Being found faithful in God's eyes is my sole desire.
How about you?

5 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, thanks Heather. That's so true and there are times I'm guilty of doing just that. I love that song that sings "everywhere I go, may I be of service." Thanks for the reminder!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great devotion, Heather. There is a monologue my husband performs called "The Sitter". It exemplifies what you say here. Good job!

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed at how God works. Just a few minutes ago I was praying to the Lord, just asking him to use me for his glory. Lately I feel such an urgency to do more for him. Whatever he wants. Then I read your blog and it is exactly how I feel. Heather you are being used, for you touch my heart often.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm on the pew right now. I need to get off my butt and do something about it.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Thanks Heather.

The parable of the talents comes to mind.

We are quick to bury things in the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home