Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wednesday's Word

Okay, today's word is my response to yesterday's toss-up. Today's word is "Eternity."

Actual meaning: Time without beginning or end; infinite time

Meaning to me: How long we are promised to live with Christ once we accept Him or how long those who don't accept Him will spend apart from Him

Yesterday's quote made me really think. As Susanne said, I don't think he meant that we should hole ourselves up at church 24/7. I think she hit the nail on the head when she said we should have "A mindset of thinking of things in an eternal light."
Mike quoted the old saying, "He's so heavenly minded he's of no earthly good."
I don't know what to think of that quote. See, if we aren't heavenly minded how can we be of earthly good?
Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
That's my idea of being heavenly minded. If Christians don't have the mind of Christ, how can we expect to show Him to the lost and dying world around us?
I think Mike's quote is referring to those who only think about heaven in a selfish light. They think I want to go to heaven, but they don't think about taking anyone with them. You can't be of "earthly good" if you aren't trying to do good on earth. If you are only thinking of your own soul, you won't have any influence on anyone around you.
I went to high school with a guy who said, "I'm going to heaven, not hell. That's all that matters. I don't have to do anything else."
Those are the words of someone who is "no earthly good" in my opinion.
Paul was the perfect example of being heavenly minded if you ask me. He wanted to go to heaven. He ran to the chopping block when he was martyred. But he loved those who were left behind. He knew they needed him. (Philippians 1:23-24)
He had eternity constantly on his mind. He knew that heaven was a real place. He also knew that hell was a real place, and he knew that every soul would spend eternity in one or the other. His goal was to win as many people to Christ so that they would go to heaven. He was heavenly minded.
I want to be heavenly minded. I want to have the mind and the heart of Christ. I want to win souls for Christ so that I might be of some "earthly good."
Because eternity lasts a long, long time!

5 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Sorry I missed it yesterday, but you summed it up very nicely.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

I like your comment about being heavenly minded in a selfish way. Sometimes, with human nature we do tend to fall into that easily, don't we?

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on! I want to help get as many people into heaven as I can while I'm here on this earth as well- it's what we're here to do!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Hi Heather! I found you on my Aunt's family friendly blog roll, and stopped by. I loved this post. I think you stated it beautifully, the difference between being heavenly minded and just being somewhat selfish. Believing in Heaven and wanting to go there is a great start, but how beautiful to be concerned about others' souls as well. This is exactly how Christ wants us to feel.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger batgirl said...

Amen. Paul certainly did have the perfect balance. "To live is Christ, to die is gain." I think most people who long for Heaven aren't longing for the location-- ya know, the mansion and all, but it is more of a longing to be with Jesus. To see HIm, touch HIm, talk to Him. The closer we grow to Him, the stronger that longing will be. We are the bride. Should we not strongly desire that day when we will be with the bridegroom in perfect intimacy? If we do not, our hearts are in the wrong place. Do you have Rich Mullin "Jesus Record?" He was in the process of making it when he died in a car accident. Just about every song shows a passionate love for Jesus, a longing to be with Him. Now Rich is there praising Jesus in person. What a wonderfuul thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home