Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thursday Thirteen



Thirteen Hymns I Love
I go to an Old-Fashioned Baptist Church Where We Still Sing the Hymns Every Service, Here Are Some of My Favorites

1. Just As I Am -

1st verse: Just as I am, Without one plea, but that Thy blood was shed for me, And that thou bidst me come to thee, Oh Lamb of God I come, I come.

2. When We All Get To Heaven -

Chorus: When we all get to Heaven, What a day of rejoicing that will be, When we all see Jesus, We'll sing and shout the victory.

3. At the Cross -

Chorus: At the Cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light, and the burden of my heart rolled away. It was there by faith, I received my sight, and now I am happy all the day.

4. Amazing Grace -

Last verse: When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, We've no less days to sing God's praise then when we'd first begun.

5. Oh How I Love Jesus -

Chorus: O how I love Jesus, O how I love Jesus, O how I love Jesus, Because He first loved me.

6. It Is Well -

1st verse: When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, even so, it is well with my soul.

7. I'll Fly Away -

Chorus: I'll fly away, oh glory I'll fly away in the morning, when I die hallelujah by and by, I'll fly away.

8. I Surrender All -

Chorus: I surrender all, I surrender all, All to thee my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

9. I Am Resolved -

Verse 1: I am resolved no longer to linger, charmed by this world's delight, things that are higher, things that are nobler, these have allured my sight.

Chorus: I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free, Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to thee.

10. Everybody Will Be Happy -

Chorus: Everybody will be happy, will be happy over there, We will shout and sing His praise, Everybody will be happy over there.

11. Wonderful Peace -

Last verse - I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace, resting sweetly in Jesus control, for I'm kept from all danger, by night and by day, and His glory is flooding my soul.

12. Heavenly Sunlight -

Chorus: Heavenly sunlight, heavenly sunlight, flooding my soul with glory divine, Hallelujah, I am rejoicing, singing His praises, Jesus is mine.

13. What A Day

Chorus: What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see, when I look upon His face, the One Who saved me by His grace, and when He takes me by the Hand and leads me through the promised land, what a day, glorious day that will be.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


10 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Most of those I know, but there's a few I'd have to hear the tune! While I love contemporty worship, these old hymns, like "It is well, with my soul", powerful, absolutely powerful. Great list, Heather.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger on the Rock said...

Those are nice. Whenever it's my turn to pick the hymns for the bulletin, sometimes I'll submit an extra insert of a copy of one of these which aren't in our regular hymnbook!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

It was nice reading the titles of the songs and being able to sing them in my head. I knew them all!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We sing lots of those at my Baptist church too! Just as I am, almost every Sunday.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Beautiful! You know, these days of worship choruses--I can't get enough of the old hymns. They just bless my heart, my spirit, and my soul. Even reading them! I'm not opposed to worship choruses and refrains--however, there is great blessing and tradition lost when we don't introduce the old hymns to new Christians. Part of the blessing of the old hymns is discovering the story of the authorship of each. It is Well has an incredible story...and of course, each hymn by Fanny Crosby (that is her name, right?!) was very special!

Diane

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... I love the hymms too, though I don't get to hear them as often anymore... I was Baptist for years, though, so I have the background. Another one I love is "Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded".

Have you heard "Redemption Songs" by Jars of Clay? If not, get it... you'll love it!

I have a thursday 13 too!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger batgirl said...

I'm a Calvary Chapel girl who worships to drums and electric guitars, but once you've grown up Baptist, those hymns are in your blood! I love Just a Closer Walk With Thee, And Can it Be, and so many others. Used to have all the hymnal numbers memorized:)

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful hymns indeed. Believe it or not, but Lutherans sing most of them too *wink*...but some I do not know. "I'll fly away" is one of my favs...Have you heard the version "Jars of Clay" has done of this old-time favorite? I enjoy it very much!
Have a blessed Friday.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Awesome list! I do love the ol' hymns.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

I love all of those!!! Hymns are so dear to my heart. I hate it that so many churches have stopped singing them. I'm thankful that my church service blends the old with the new. Some of my favorites are: Blessed Assurance, He Leadeth Me, Great is Thy Faithfulness, Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us, Day By Day, Farther Along, Victory In Jesus, He Lives, Be Thou My Vision...those are just a few!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home