Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

When the Routine Goes Crazy

Last night I was in the middle of my normal bedtime routine of doing my Bible study when suddenly my brother's fiance yelled out, "Oh my goodness."
I of course asked her what was going on, and she told me about how The Crocodile Hunter had been killed. It's a sad thing, though I'm sure some weren't exactly shocked. I mean he faced death everyday on his job, but I'm sure it wasn't something he or his family expected at all.
The thing that most of us saw as death-defying, he saw as everyday, run-of-the-mill. The thing is that each of us has a different routine. For some it's getting up at 5:52 AM exactly and getting cup of coffee #1, taking a shower and putting on clothes, cup of coffee #2, putting on makeup and fixing hair, cup of coffee #3 (to go of course), and hitting the probably packed road to get to work. For some it's waking up the kids and doing school. For some it's travelling with the circus.
We all have our routines. And all of them can be thrown into hysteria in a split second. A car that pulls out in front of us during our morning commute can change our plans for the day very quickly. A sick child can make homeschool plans go haywire. An escaped lion can make a normal day at the circus an adventure.
Things will happen in life. That's just what I was studying last night in my "Experiencing the Heart of Jesus" Study. The thing to remember is that Jesus understands. He had crazy, stressful days. He had a day where he heard his friend and cousin, John the Baptist was beheaded. Then the man who had killed John the Baptist wanted to know more about Jesus (probably wanted to have Jesus killed too), then his apostles came to Him telling Him all about how they had healed in His name (throwing His emotions in the complete opposite direction.) Then He was mobbed by a huge crowd of people (5,000 men alone, no telling how many women and children) who wanted to hear Him speak and see Him perform miracles, plus the people forgot lunch, so Jesus had to make lunch for all of them, then He sent the disciples away, and He went up alone into the mountain, promising to meet the disciples on the other side, then a storm came up, so He did a little sea walking to comfort His disciples, He had to give Peter a lesson in faith, plus He calmed the storm, then when they got to the other shore the people of the area begged to touch the hem of His garment so that they might be healed. (You can read about this day in Jesus' life in Matthew 14.)
Jesus understands what we are going through. (Hebrews 4:15) He understands the crazy days. He understands when the plans that we had go haywire. And the fact that He understands should bring us peace. We serve the One who can say "Peace be Still" to the storms in our life, and even if He chooses not to calm the storms, He can walk the raging seas with us.
So on those days when the unexpected keeps happening, turn to the One who whispers peace. Turn to the One who has been there. Turn to Jesus!

6 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so shocked when I heard about The Crocodile Hunters death. I just couldn't believe it happened and by a stingray. Yes in a split second life can change. One night during the last 3 weeks I had had enough and couldn't take it. The tears came, I was tired, scared and sat in the floor saying ok God, I need you, help me please and in that moment I felt peace and was able to finally sleep and do the things I needed. I still don't know why I try to handle things on my own first?

Hope you're having a good day! Hey I sent you a message through myspace. I remembered you had an account:)

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

What a glorious perspective to keep today, Heather. Everything is so much better for our peace if we will remember who will see us through.

Blessings!

Shalee

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

He does understand so much more than we ever give him credit for! Great thoughts Heather!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Yeah, he made wrestling crocs and handling snakes seem normal. Well, it was to him.

BTW, I explained why I named my blog in my latest post.

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome post, Heather :)You are totally right...We don't know when we are called home. We don't know when our time is up. So we need to make sure that every minute counts and live our lifes more focused...
Would you mind if I highlight this post and your blog tomorrow on CWO's blog? Please let me know if you rather not...
Living in His grace,
<>< Iris aka Sting My Heart

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger twiga92 said...

It definitely was a shock to hear of his death. Hubby and I were talking about it last night and how it makes us think. God is so completely in control. He orchestrates every moment and knows exactly when it's our time to go. There are no flukes when it comes to God. How much more we should glorify Him each and every day that He gives us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home