Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

CWO - In Other Words

“I thought about the whole notion of "reproduction," and what it really means to replicate yourself. Is it merely about the passing on of eyes and chins and hair color? Or is it, rather, the replication of the heart? Do we leave a bigger mark by passing on our genes, or our thoughts?”
~ Shannon Woodward ~ author of:
Inconceivable: Finding Peace in the Midst of Infertility

I admit that when I first read today's quote I thought about not participating this week. I mean at this point in my life (the point where I'm not married) I'm not really thinking about children and passing things onto them. But the end of the quote got to me. The part where it says, "Do we leave a bigger mark by passing on our genes, or our thoughts?"

I think that passing on thoughts is definitely the bigger part. I mean I look like my mom and dad both a little. More my dad I guess. And through his genes I believe I got chiari malformation, since he has the same thing, but my dark hair, dark eyes, long eyelashes, and short body are not what really makes "ME."

What makes me are the things I believe. And the things I believe I learned from my parents. They shared their thoughts about God with me from the time I was born. The told me about Jesus and how He died for me on the cross. They told me that He would forgive my sins if I would ask Him for forgiveness. They were a very instrumental part in my salvation. They laid a strong foundation for Christ in my life.

Many times I look around me, and I wonder why I am so blessed. Why am I the one who got placed in a good, Christian home? Why wasn't I born in a war-torn country where people are killed for believing in Jesus? Why wasn't I raised to believe that killing Christians was a good thing? I honestly don't know why God blessed me to be in the home that I'm in, but I thank Him for it everyday.

So as I look at this quote, and I think back on what my parents have taught me, I want to be the same kind of example. Hopefully one day to children of my own. But right now I can share my thoughts with the children I teach in youth or with the people that I work with everyday. Whether they want to accept them or not, my thoughts for Christ will affect everyone I'm around. I just want to be willing to share them at all times in love.

I read this verse this morning, and I think it goes with today's quote.

I Peter 3:15, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

I should always be ready to share my thoughts about Christ with anyone I meet. It is not just by passing on my genes that I will make a difference. The words I say for Christ can affect countless lives along the way. Because those words may affect what others think of Him.

I'll leave you today with a song that I wrote for my parents back on their 30th wedding anniversary. You can hear it here. In the player box, just select "The Cross in Your Eyes." Here are the words:

You've told me about Jesus since I was a baby in your arms. You told me how He bled on Calvary. As I grew older, I came to recognize my need for salvation through the cross in your eyes.

I saw love and compassion, I saw your hurt and pain. I saw so many emotions as my life you tried to shape. Of all the things I saw there, I'm glad I recognized. The light of the cross that I saw in your eyes.

Now I am dreaming of children of my own, I want to show the cross you showed to me. And as they grow older, I pray they'll recognize, their need for salvation, through the cross that I saw in your eyes.

I saw love and compassion, I saw your hurt and pain. I saw so many emotions as my life you tried to shape. Of all the things I saw there, I'm glad I recognized. The light of the cross that I saw in your eyes.



21 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger _ said...

"Whether they want to accept them or not, my thoughts for Christ will affect everyone I'm around."

So true. We affect everyone around us everyday with who we are whether they want to be affected or not. Great post!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Heather, that was beautiful. Makes me really think about my own children and I hope and pray that I do half as good a job as your parents.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

If it makes you feel better, I wasn't going to participate either.. touchy subject in some ways, isn't it? I'm glad you did though! Hugs!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Heather that was a beautiful post, I am glad you decided to participate. Blessings.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger FruitfulSpirit said...

Wonderful. The song is just beautiful. Are you singing? It is just beautiful. You are truly filled with the Fruit of the Spirit! Thanks for the share and your future children will have a very blessed life with you for a mom!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Miriam Pauline said...

What a lovely tribute to your parents! Thank you for sharing.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ame said...

Very nice ;)

It is no accident that you were placed in the family where you are ... God's purpose and plan for your life necessitates you being exactly who you are!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Fine words, Heather.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Very nice perspective, that we dont just reproduce through children of our own, but the mark we're leaving on everyone we spend time with, day by day. Great post!

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope my kids write a song like that about me some day! Wow!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Christine said...

What a great tribute to your mom and dad. Sounds like you have wonderful examples for a family of your own someday!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Barb said...

You really made me stop and think about people who are persecuted for believing in Jesus.

How blessed we are to be able to demonstrate our faith openly. Thank you for reminding me of that.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Joy said...

That's a wonderful song! What a great tribute to your parents! As a parent, I hope I am able to do the same as you parents have who have obviously raised a wonderful daughter!

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you did participate!!! I enjoyed reading this and it was great to hear your perspective of being on the receiving end of all that love!!!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Heather what a lovely post and well worth another read and ponder from this lady!

thanks

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Wonderful, Heather. Absolutely wonderful.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post and what a beautiful song. Thank you so much for sharing.
Have a blessed evening.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Heather:) Just wanted to say hi...

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Kaz said...

HI heather, we can only share what we know, and we only know what another has shared :) God Bless you.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, christian louboutin, louboutin outlet, louboutin, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, tiffany and co, prada outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, michael kors outlet, ugg boots clearance, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, nike shoes, burberry outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg outlet, ray ban sunglasses, cheap uggs, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

mulberry, new balance pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, hollister, nike free pas cher, hogan outlet, polo lacoste, abercrombie and fitch, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, north face, nike air force, longchamp, kate spade handbags, lululemon outlet online, air max pas cher, polo ralph lauren, true religion jeans, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, sac guess, hollister, sac burberry, nike air max, michael kors, coach factory outlet, true religion outlet, air jordan, sac hermes, coach purses, coach outlet, north face, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, oakley pas cher, air max, nike roshe run pas cher, timberland, michael kors uk, ralph lauren, nike roshe, nike free, nike tn, air max, nike blazer, louboutin, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home