Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Testimony

Today I'm taking part in the "Bloggy Tour of Testimonies" and sharing my testimony. I just love this tour!
Anyway, for my testimony. As I've said on here before, I was raised in a Christian home. My parents weren't perfect of course, but they always lived the life in front of me. And when they did do something wrong, I saw them ask forgiveness for it.
I learned very early on that Jesus died to forgive our sins. By the time I was five I could pretty much quote the entire Christmas story and tell you the whole reason Jesus came. (Seriously there are videos of Christmas plays when I was little.)
Then when I was five I started at a Christian school, so once again I had Christian influences all around (as far as teachers go anyway.)
It was around that time that I decided it was time for me to "pray the prayer." After all, I knew that Jesus had come to die for my sins. I knew that I was a sinner. So I prayed the prayer, and being the good Baptist girl that I was, I was baptized.
But I came to realize later in life that I had just been going through the motions. As a matter of fact, I went through the motions of that prayer countless times. Anytime I watched a movie about the end times or I heard a sermon or watched a play about hell I prayed the prayer. But I never truly meant the prayer until March of 1995 when I was 12 years old.
A preacher had come for revival, and it was Friday night of revival. I can't tell you one word that the preacher preached. Seriously because most of the revival I didn't pay ONE BIT of attention. On Friday night God convicted me. He showed me that I had played church and prayed a few prayers, but that I had never really changed. I had never become a true Christian.
That night I went down to the alter, and I prayed and asked Christ to come into my heart for real. Not because I thought it was what others wanted me to do. Not because I was scared of hell (though I was because after all, it's a scary place to think of, and I didn't want to go there.) But I prayed because I knew deep down inside that I was a sinner, and I needed a Savior.
I came alive that night. Old things truly passed away and all things became new. I'm not going to say I've been perfect since that time. I'd be a liar if I did.
But Jesus has been with me each step of the way, and He's taught me so much. His Word has become something that I want to learn rather than something I had to learn in my Christian school. Church has become somewhere that I love to go rather than somewhere I was forced to go. And singing has become something I do for Him rather than something I did for myself. There is much more I could say about my testimony, but I'll stop here for now.
I was a sinner on a church pew, but God saved me by His amazing grace!

21 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. I think those of us that grew up in the Chritian church, always come to the point where they say "rubber meets the road". Are you going to continue your parents religion or make it your own.

I know that was my case. I remember when it became clear to me, "hey I am doing this because this is what I believe, not my family". It was an awakening for me. God has an amazing way of getting ahold of us "who think we know it all" (I am speaking about myself, not you). It is a trap we fall into growing up in a Christian home sometimes.

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony!!!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Although I didn't grow up in a Christian home, I can relate to your story. I did go to church, so I knew what I was *supposed* to say and do and tried to follow that the best I could. It wasn't until I saw Jesus as my Savior (and not my taskmaster) that I truly felt Him in my life. For both of us, praise God for that moment of out with the old and in with the new!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Even though so many of us may have been 'born into' a Christian family, done the Church, and Vacation Bible School thing, that is the preliminary. When He knows the time is right, He definitely gets in our face. Usually by allowing circumstances that bring us to the realization that we cannot make it without Him. That is the time when most of us reach out to him for that personal relationship we hear so much about, and it is also the time when our life makes some very dramatic changes for the good and we learn about that 'Joy unspeakable.'
Thanks for sharing your testamony.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your testimony! It's so neat to hear how the Lord reaches people in different ways

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

What is amazing to me is that the Lord was able to reach your heart at age 12 and show you that you were "playing" church. That is such a grown up kind of revelation for a 12 year old. How awesome God is! You are such a witness for the Lord, Heather!

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too went to a Christian school and honestly believe all the scriptures we learned had been hidden in my heart until Jesus came in and brought them to life.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading your testimony. I too grew up in a Christian home. I knew all the head knowledge, but didn't know it in my heart. I had to come to the point I realized I had never made the decision I knew I should make!

I posted mine too.

Thanks for sharing

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

It's amazing how many people have a similar experience. Almost scary for me, being "first generation born again".

But God is good. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Oh, yes ... I can relate! What a great testimony... and it's awesome that you are so honest about your "ah-HA!" moment! Many of us have been there, but it's good to read it from such a young person!

Love ya, girl!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Free In Christ said...

Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear others testimonies.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. I am enjoying meeting new people through this tour. It is the best part of blogging.
I very much identify with your testimony. I think for those of us who grew up in the faith our own conversion stories are more of a process than one dramatic moment. I love your story.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Susannah said...

I love the childhood salvation stories. Like you, my children were very young when they came to Christ, but I was older. Your life is blessed!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Every testimony is so different, and yet there are common threads. I'm trying to remember a lot of these, to try and teach my children in a way they grasp and understand so they don't take so long to learn what it's really about. Not sure if it's possible....seems it may have to happen in the right time for each person.

Jenn

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather - thank you so much for sharing your beautiful testimony. Sometimes we don't realize that we just go through motions until He convicts us...I am just sad that it took me so long.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, it has been so great to read how God has worked in other lives to bring them to Him. I think it is really important to share this.

Mine is up now too.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, christian louboutin, louboutin outlet, louboutin, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, tiffany and co, prada outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, michael kors outlet, ugg boots clearance, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, nike shoes, burberry outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg outlet, ray ban sunglasses, cheap uggs, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

mulberry, new balance pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, hollister, nike free pas cher, hogan outlet, polo lacoste, abercrombie and fitch, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, north face, nike air force, longchamp, kate spade handbags, lululemon outlet online, air max pas cher, polo ralph lauren, true religion jeans, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, sac guess, hollister, sac burberry, nike air max, michael kors, coach factory outlet, true religion outlet, air jordan, sac hermes, coach purses, coach outlet, north face, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, oakley pas cher, air max, nike roshe run pas cher, timberland, michael kors uk, ralph lauren, nike roshe, nike free, nike tn, air max, nike blazer, louboutin, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

instyler, abercrombie, wedding dresses, beats by dre, baseball bats, mont blanc, soccer shoes, jimmy choo outlet, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, ray ban, new balance shoes, soccer jerseys, hollister clothing store, p90x, herve leger, louboutin, insanity workout, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, nike huaraches, vans shoes, mcm handbags, converse, longchamp, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, air max, birkin bag, oakley, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, north face jackets, hollister, reebok outlet, timberland boots, gucci, converse shoes, celine handbags, air max, giuseppe zanotti, north face outlet, nike trainers, vans, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, ghd, nfl jerseys

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger kristislichler said...

This is done so that individuals will webgarden.com certainly have the ability to obtain Get Mobdro website the best home entertainment there is. Mobdro Download – PC, Android, iPhone & APK Free For that reason, it will certainly also make the Mobdro application to have a bigger database than other streaming Mobdro App app for Android. After you consider all of those benefits.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger kristislichler said...

Manufacturing facility zohosites.com/ Reset Protection is expected to Refer safeguard the gadget owner however unfortunately, FRP BYPASS DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION GUIDE PC, ANDROID Youtuber and also expert "rooter" RootJunky frp bypass uncovered a way to bypass FRP Bypass APK the security.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Cara Mangobati Usus Buntu said...

__________________

This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

Cara Mengobati Sinusitis
Penyebab Mual dan BAB Berdarah
Cara Mengatasi asam Lambung
Khasiat dan manfaat QnC Jelly Gamat
Cara Cepat Mengobati Amandel
Cara Mengobati ruam Kulit pada Bayi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home