Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

How to Be Holy

1 Peter 1:16 - Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

I've been thinking about this verse a lot over the last several days. As I posted yesterday, I'm making some changes in my life. I want to strive more to be holy. And the verses that I read for a devotion this morning reminded me (AGAIN) just how I can do that. Look at these verses:

Psalm 119:9-11, " 9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. 10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. 11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

How can we live life in a pure way? That's what the psalmist asked. Then he gave us the answer that God gave him. We can cleanse our way by taking heed to God's Word. And we can't just do it halfway. We have to put our whole heart into it. If we don't commit fully, we will wander. Only by staying in God's Word and hiding it in our hearts can we keep from sin.
That's it. Simple really. All we have to do is stay focused on His Word. But we make it so difficult. We let the smallest little things distract us. We skip our devotions for a few extra minutes of sleep. We'll miss, "just this one service" to catch up on things around the house. We let a TV show keep us from the Word.
No, it doesn't take much to throw us off the path, but the great thing is that Jesus is willing to forgive us, and He is there to lead us back to the right path after we get misdirected.
With God's help I'm working on this holiness thing. I know I'll never be perfect before I see heaven, but I want to grow closer to Him everyday.
What about you?

5 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

I'm working on it too.. it's so easy to get distracted, isn't it? I know blogging with CWO is helping me "more" productive lol. But I am still way too distracted.. and the stupid thing is, I know I am and yet I still procraustinate in doing what I know I should be doing kwim?

Thanks for the inspiration Heather!!!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

trying so hard! Each day I try to change something for the better about myself or my life.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I love that scripture. The key to me is hiding His word in my heart. Not just reading it with my eyes. I have to drop it from my brain and down into my heart. And to me that means thinking on it, mulling it over, asking God to make it real to me and doing it, over and over. It's a biggy! Good post as usual, Heather.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Your post is exactly what I needed today! Feeling a little pouty in my faith...I need to go to HIS word--and listen for Him. I need to hear His voice...I need to give him my full attention...and my heart-no matter it's state! Ignore the distractions of life isn't easy....but I think verse 10 gives the solution to that...."With my whole heart"-we can't come half-heartedly.

This post is an important word!

thanks! diane

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Heather - this is a compliment...I don't know how you can be more holy. You're one of the most committed people I know to your faith.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home