Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, September 18, 2006

Finding God in the Little Things - Neighbors

I didn't have much time to post on Friday so I put my "Finding God in the Little Things" post off until today. I think God had a hand in that because he really showed me a neighborly little fellow on Friday night.
See Friday night I went to the rodeo. I work for the company that makes Wrangler Jeans, so we got free tickets. I'm not a rodeo fanatic, but I usually like to go when it's in town because the clowns are really funny!
Anyway, back to my point. My tickets were for the upper tier, but the curtain had been put down to close off the section beside us, so we were moved to fourth row on the bottom, directly in front of the chutes (how cool is that?)
This is something I think God also had a hand in. See, had I not been moved down, I would not have been placed near this boy. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with him, but it was obvious that the boy had limited mental capacity. In some areas. In others he was way beyond me.
See, he cheered those cowboys on like no one I've ever seen. And even when they didn't make their "8 seconds" he would say things like, "That's okay buddy. At least you tried." or "You'll get next time, just wait and see."
I have a feeling that he has been encouraged much in his lifetime, so he's passing it on to those around him. But it made me think, how often do I encourage someone when they are down? Do I use words that will lift them up, or do I pretty much kick sand in their eyes by using hateful degrading remarks about their failure?
I learned a lesson from that boy on Friday night. A lesson I hope I don't soon forget.
Galatians 6:1 says this, "Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted."
When someone falls, we are to restore them. To go to them in meekness. We aren't to lord their failures over them. Because at any given time we may fall ourselves.
I have a feeling that this little boy had suffered many "falls" in his lifetime. So he understood to a point how those cowboys felt. So he tried to do what he could to cheer them up.
I want to remember this attitude when I see someone around me fall. So that I may go to them with the right words and the right heart.

8 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post Heather! You know if we would all slow down and enjoy life like this little fellow does... stop and encourage someone along the way,take time to smell the flowers,and enjoy the good things of life.....we would all be better off!!! You are such a blessing to your daddy and me and we love you very much!!!!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Your post is an amazing illustration of listening for God's voice in the ordinary! Extraordinary lessons are learned.

Diane

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing post Heather. We all need to encourage others. What an amazing young man you were blessed to witness. I wonder if he will ever understand that because of you his lesson is going to touch many.

Have a great day!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

You've just encouraged me to be more of an encourager! Great post Heather!

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS A GREAT POST AND I DEFINATELY WILL REMEMBER THIS BOY FOR A LONG TIME SINCE I WAS SITTING THERE ALSO. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE THOSE WITHOUT ALL OF OUR ABILITIES ARE SOMETIMES SPIRITUALLY MORE MATURE. THEY APPRECIATE THE LITTLEST OF THINGS AND I WANT TO BE MORE LIKE THIS. LOVE YA SIS!!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

That was a beautiful insightm, Heather. Thank you so much for sharing your encouragement with us.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

What a great experience getting to meet that little boy. And great thoughts about encouragement...it really is so important!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

ouch ouch ouch! lol I think you just slapped me.. oh wait, that was God lol. I need to remember that verse. Thank-you Heather! Fantastic post! (I'm glad you posted now instead of Friday!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home