Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Thursday Thirteen



Thirteen Verses About Watching Our Words
Last night I was reading my 90 days through the Bible reading when I happened upon a verse about Samuel watching his words. That verse is the first in this list and inspired the entire list!

1. I Samuel 3:19, "And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground." Samuel didn't use words that didn't mean something. He didn't let his words fall to the ground like dead leaves.

2. Job 33:3, "My words shall be of the uprightness of my heart: and my lips shall utter knowledge clearly." Words show what is in the depths of the heart. A person with a right heart will speak what is right, and will show true knowledge.

3. Psalm 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." The prayer of every Christian is to live a life acceptable to God. That starts by meditating on things acceptable to Him, so that we will speak things that are acceptable to Him.

4. Psalm 59:7, "Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lips: for who, say they, doth hear?" Our words can be sickening to others. They can be like swords that cut them to the very heart. We must watch how we use our words very carefully.

5. Proverbs 6:2, "Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth." Words can get us into trouble. They can trap us in situations that we didn't want to be in.

6. Proverbs 8:8, "All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them." Our words should be filled with righteousness. Perverseness should never cross our lips.

7. Proverbs 10:19, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." We should know when not to say anything at all.

8. Proverbs 15:1, "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." We can either use our words to bring peace or to bring strife. We are to seek peace.

9. Proverbs 15:26, "The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words." Our words will show whether we are wicked or pure. If we are pure, our words will be pleasing to the Lord.

10. Proverbs 16:24, "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Words that are pleasing to God are good for us and for others.

11. Proverbs 17:27, "He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit." A knowledgable person knows when not to say anything.

12. Proverbs 18:8, "The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly." Words of gossip hurt others deeply.

13. Proverbs 22:21, "That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?" It is important that we know the truth so that we might speak the truth.

This topic could obviously go on well past 13 verses, but I hope that this small list of verses has made you think about your words as much as God made me think about mine last night!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


5 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

Very, very, VERY cool list! This plays right into my "30 Days of Peace". I'm going to use your list for my quiet time. THANK YOU for posting it!

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen. Enjoy! ;)

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good list. One that should probably be framed up in my house =)) Great TT.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Thank you! I am doing "Conversation Peace" a bible study about the power of our words. This once again reminds me to keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything uplifting to say! :)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

bonk!
lol very good list!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Did you change while I was gone? It looks great!

Love the list. I always do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home