Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

He's Still Got A Song

On Sunday my family sang at a church in our area for their homecoming service. It was a really great service. My brother even surprised us and came up to sing with us because we sang at the church of one of my mom's best friends, and my mom really wished he could be there. So we were really blessed when he showed up.
I also got another blessing while I was there. We sang a few songs in an afternoon service for the people who had to work in the kitchen and miss the morning service. One man that stayed for the afternoon service really blessed me.
See, this man has alzheimers. And his physical and mental abilities are obviously diminishing. He couldn't walk far distances without his wife leading him. He couldn't carry on very much conversation. This fifty-something man was pretty much reduced to the level of a toddler.
But when we sang his face lit up like a Christmas tree. No, not because we're the best singers in the world or anything. But because we were singing the songs of God. The songs that were hidden deep in the recesses of his mind. Recognition spread across his face. And he began to sing along with us. Not the quiet reserved type of singing along that most do. He sang along with his full heart, and for the most part he was right on pitch, not that it mattered. If every note had been off key, I would have still been blessed just by seeing the look on his face. It was a look of sheer joy. And when we finished singing he looked disappointed, like he wished we could have gone on all day.
I don't understand alzheimers, and it always saddens me to see how a person can go downhill so far. But on Sunday I was reminded that if a person truly knows God, even when their memory fades, God is still in their heart. And He can still give them a song to sing in their darkest hour.
I'll leave you today with this verse from Psalm 77:6, "I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search."

5 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Beautiful! I have heard testimonies like this before. I get Holy Ghost goosebumps when I listen to them! God is so amazing! And so are you! Your post is fabulous!

Diane

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Beautiful Heather. That brought tears to my eyes!

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

I wish there were a way we could get this to Harvey's wife. I believe that she could use some encouragement. He blessed me too. Kind of back to yesterdays post, the mind may go back to simpler days, but oh how much they can teach us. Thanks for this, it made me cry.

Love ya,
Your Big Sis

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

I just love your post today! I bet the man left with a song in his heart and warmth from the love of God surrounding him. You are such a blessing

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger 艾丰 said...

jianbin1203
michael kors online outlet
wedding dresses
michael kors handbags
uggs on sale
ugg clearance
tods shoes
bottega veneta outlet online
uggs outlet
links of london uk
replica watches
nike shoes
arizona cardinals
mont blanc
lululemon outlet store
miami dolphins
basketball shoes
cleveland cavaliers
michael kors handbags,michael kors outlet,michael kors,kors outlet,michael kors outlet online,michael kors outlet online sale,michael kors handbags clearance,michael kors purses,michaelkors.com,michael kors bags,michael kors shoes,michaelkors,cheap michael kors
michael kors outlet online
salomon speedcross 3
abercrombie fitch
iphone cases
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton uk
nike huarache
woolrich clothing
celine outlet online
ralph lauren,ralph lauren uk,ralph lauren outlet,ralph lauren outlet online,polo ralph lauren outlet,ralph lauren polo
oakley outlet online
tory burch sandals
indianapolis colts
soccer jerseys,cheap soccer jerseys,cheap soccer jerseys for sale,soccer jersey,usa soccer jersey,football jerseys
ugg boots

 

Post a Comment

<< Home