Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Nothing is Impossible - Power in the Walk

From Shepherd's Staff to the Rod of God

Have you ever read that poem, "It Depends on Whose Hands It's In"? It's a pretty interesting little poem that talks about how small insignificant items can mean different things to different people. For instance, a basketball in my hands is worthless, but a basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is worth millions.
I was thinking about that poem last night when I was reading my Bible. I was reading the passage in Exodus 2:2-4 where God told Moses to throw down his shepherd's staff. When Moses threw the staff to the ground, it turned into a snake, and Moses ran in fear. But God told Moses to grab the snake by the tail, and when he did, the snake turned once again into a shepherd's staff.
Several things struck me in this passage. Number one, Moses was willing to listen to God. Otherwise, he would never have thrown down the staff to begin with, and he definitely wouldn't have grabbed the snake that he ran from by the tail.
Secondly, Moses was afraid when he saw the power of God revealed. He ran from the snake. Now, I totally would have done the same thing because snakes are not animals I like.
But the thing is that God hasn't given us the spirit of fear. He has given us the spirit of power. (II Timothy 1:7) His power. The power to overcome any fear that threatens to overtake us. Fear is a form of torment that Satan uses to keep us in bondage. (I John 4:18)
The question is, why do we allow that fear to overtake us when we HAVE ALREADY SEEN THE POWER OF GOD? I mean think about it. God merely told Moses to throw the staff to the ground, and the stick turned into a living, breathing, slivering serpent. I don't know about you, but I've never thrown a stick to the ground and seen it do that. No, God was showing His power to Moses, yet Moses was afraid.
And most of us are just like him. We have seen the power of God in our lives. He saved us didn't He? He's answered prayers in our lives, worked miracles that He alone could work, yet we cower in fear wondering what darts Satan will throw our way next.
We don't have to live that way. Every day ordinary things in our lives can be used to show God's power if only we will be willing to accept the fact that we need His power.(We'll talk a little more about that tomorrow)
Thinking back to the poem about whose hands it's in, I wonder how awesome each and everyone of our lives would be if we truly placed them in God's hands and without fear allowed Him to work His power through us?
I don't know about you, but that's something I'd like to find out!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

Amen. I want to do this with my marriage, my children, my writing... put them in God's hand. Yes, He has worked wonders in my midst.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Nice one, Heather.

I've seen God do some pretty amazing things in my life. With sticks. However, He gave me a weakish bladder, so I'm pretty sure He won't subject me to a snake stick.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Oh excellent Heather. I think the more we get to know God and who He is the more we are able to do that. When we truly understand His character then we would truly understand that the life He has for us is truly better than the one we control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home