Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, October 06, 2006

True Repentance, True Humility

As I said yesterday, I'm up through II Chronicles in my reading. And the last person on my list from yesterday was Josiah. I'm gonna talk a little bit more about him today.
Josiah became king of Judah when he was only eight years old. Can you imagine? I'm mean, I'm sure that he had advisors that helped him make the important decisions he had to make, but fate of the entire kingdom of Judah ultimately rested in his very young hands.
But Josiah started things off right. He followed the Lord just as David had. Considering David was called "a man after God's own heart" I think that Josiah looked to a pretty good person for an example.
Now Josiah's own father had done evil in the sight of the Lord, and Josiah could have followed that example, but he went in the way that he knew to be right, and he didn't turn from it.
He even made restoration for the evil that his father had done. He tore down the altars and images made to other gods. He restored the house of the one true God that the evil men had torn down in his father's time. During the time of restoring the house of God, the book of the law was found, and it was read before Josiah.
When Josiah heard what the book said, he rent his clothes.
In Josiah's day, when someone rent their clothes, it was a sign of true shame and repentance. Josiah was humbling himself before God, not just because of his sin, but because of the sin of his fathers. Josiah was troubled before God because he knew that Judah deserved God's punishment for their sins.
Because of Josiah's humility, God promised to hold off his wrath until after Josiah died. And Josiah used his lifetime to lead the people of Judah back to God.
Josiah's was a life of true humility and true repentance. And because of that, God granted him favor.
Josiah's is a story that reminds me to be humble. It reminds me that no matter what position I am in, I should never be too proud to call out to God in repentance. Just as Josiah did not let his high position as king keep him from humbling himself before God, I shouldn't ever let anything keep me from being humble before him.
You can read Josiah's story in II Chronicles 34-35. I hope it blesses you as much as it did me.

7 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Josiah inspires me. Thanks, Heather.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I am in a 32 week Bible study called Disciple Bible IV, and this weeks study is II Chronicles. WOW it was neat finding this spot just when it matched up with my Bible study! I am glad I found you. Have a great weekend.
Blessings,
Nancy

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Wow, this whole story reminds me I haven't read the old testament in a while and I need to get back to it! Powerful!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Awww, what a beautiful post! Josiah was a wonderful King! My nephew is named after Josiah in the Bible and he is such an adorable little boy! He is three years old and smarter than you could ever imagine. :)

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

My Bible study reading for this morning was this exact passage in II Chronicles! Amazing, isn't it, that two people who read your blog have also read this passage this week? We've been studying the story from 2Kings, but today went to the cross reference passage in 2Chronicles. I love the story of Josiah and how faithful he was to God's commands!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, christian louboutin, louboutin outlet, louboutin, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, tiffany and co, prada outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, michael kors outlet, ugg boots clearance, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, nike shoes, burberry outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg outlet, ray ban sunglasses, cheap uggs, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

instyler, abercrombie, wedding dresses, beats by dre, baseball bats, mont blanc, soccer shoes, jimmy choo outlet, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, ray ban, new balance shoes, soccer jerseys, hollister clothing store, p90x, herve leger, louboutin, insanity workout, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, nike huaraches, vans shoes, mcm handbags, converse, longchamp, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, air max, birkin bag, oakley, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, north face jackets, hollister, reebok outlet, timberland boots, gucci, converse shoes, celine handbags, air max, giuseppe zanotti, north face outlet, nike trainers, vans, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, ghd, nfl jerseys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home