Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Goose in the City

I was driving toward downtown Greensboro this morning when I saw something that made me think. Standing in the middle of a small, grassy median was a goose. Just one random goose that watched the cars racing by with a wary look. He looked terrified. And I imagine he was not where he wanted to be.
Now I'm sure when he first spotted the grassy median it looked like a nice and inviting place to land. But I'm sure it didn't take very long for him to feel insecure in the spot.
There have been many times in my life that I feel just like that goose. I'll look at a situation and think, "Yep, that's for me right there." So I'll jump on the chance only to find that what looked nice and lovely from afar turned out to be nothing more than an illusion, and that the place I've brought myself is truly terrifying.
See, sin is like that. It looks inviting. It appears harmless. That is until we find ourselves trapped in it. And every way that we look it seems there is no way out.
I got to thinking a bit more about that goose. You see, his only way out was to look up. He had to fly above the madness that surrounded him in order to escape it.
My escape is in looking up as well. When I look up to God for help, He will lift me out of the sin in which I've surrounded myself. There is simply no other way.
I'm glad that I have a God who is willing to forgive. (I John 1:9) A God who wants to lift us from the depths of sin to the heights of heaven.
So if you find yourself feeling trapped today, look up. He is there just waiting to lift you in His arms of grace and mercy!

4 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post as always and so very true! Hope you're doing great. I've missed visiting everyone and hope I'll show my face a little more often!

Have a great week!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Heather you make me smile! I don't know of anyone else whom God speaks to more through the things she sees daily. I always love your devotionals because they are so easy to relate to.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Great illustration. I could see it and I've so been there.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

Great post. I love the way God uses nature to teach us His truths.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home