Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Wise Man Builds His House Upon THE Rock

The other night I received a call that made me realize that I'm getting older. No, not old, just older! It was a call from my brother informing me that he had just purchased a home. My baby brother, buying a house. And the only thing I could think of was there's no way he's old enough for this. But he is. And in September he'll be getting married. Life flies by.
The thing is that we all make huge steps in our lives. Some we make when others don't really think we're ready. Some we're afraid to take because we ourselves don't feel ready.
The important thing is that we make every step with Christ. He is our rock in every situation. He should be the foundation of every decision we make. Otherwise, when hard times come, we WILL NOT STAND.
Check out this passage from Matthew 7:

" 24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."


My brother and I used to sing a song when we were but youngsters. It went like this:
The wise man built his house upon the rock,
The wise man built his house upon the rock,
The wise man built his house upon the rock,
and the rains came tumbling down.

The rains came down and the floods came up,
The rains came down and the floods came up,
The rains came down and the floods came up,
and the house on the rock stood firm.

The foolish man built his house upon the sand,
The foolish man built his house upon the sand,
The foolish man built his house upon the sand,
and the rains came tumbling down.

The rains came down and the floods came up,
The rains came down and the floods came up,
The rains came down and the floods came up,
And the house on the sand went SPLAT!!

We'd always shout that last word and laugh. The part where the house went splat was the best part. But in real life, the part where the house goes splat is the saddest part. Because it pictures a life that doesn't have Christ, and without Christ, we can't weather the storms of life.
That's a lesson that I'm really glad my parents have taught me. A lesson they've instilled in me since I was a little girl laughing with my brother about a house that went splat! And even though it is hard to think of that baby brother growing up, I am happy for him. And I hope that he will always live a wise life built upon the rock, just like our parents taught us. And I pray the same for each of you!

8 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Hard to sing along, doing the arm motions to this great song....and type a comment!

The rains came down,,,,,,and the floods came up...the rains came down ....and the floods came up....SPLAT! {{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}

Loved it as a child....and it still holds words of wisdom!

Great post!

Diane


{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

Truly He is the Solid Rock foundation that stands sure! Sounds like the rest of your house is built solid too- through the teaching and training you have received from your parents. I too have been blessed w/a godly heritage.

Occasionally I may lose a shingle or two, but this ol house is strong, to God be all the glory.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Margie said...

great post and I will be praying for your friend in your post from Monday.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Awe! How awesome that your brother is getting married AND buying a house! Whoooo! Two life changing decisions all in one year!

Blessings to him!!!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger FlipFlop Mom said...

WAY COOL BLOG!!! I am so happy I found it today!!!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

It's me again.....same blogger...different day. Just needed to re-read your post. My standing on the ROCK is a little shakey...needed some strength!

Even when you are not posting...your words are being used by God to bless!

Diane

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Isn't God good to inspire other sheep to speak truth and even put it to music so we remember it?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

hehe, older isn't as bad as old.. I am actually enjoying getting older... my 30's have been so far the best (seeing i'm only 31 i'm not that far into them)
God bless!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home