Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, April 24, 2006

There's Something So Much Better

Last night the young people at our church congregated at our usual hangout after the night service. Our usual hangout...Pizza Hut.
Now it isn't New York Pizza or anything, but for North Carolina it's the best pizza. The crust just melts in your mouth. While we were eating we got in a discussion about the best frozen pizzas. (Don't ask, I don't know why!)
Anyway, there were votes all around. My cousin Christy and I stand by Freschetta while my friend Melissa is strongly in favor of Red Baron. But though we differed on favorites, we all agreed on the nastiest tasting frozen pizza. Tony's won that prize hands down. (If you like Tony's pizzas sorry. We just don't!)
My cousin Christy was talking about her grandparents. See, her grandpa loves Tony's pizzas. (Though Christy doesn't understand why.) When her grandma was alive, her grandpa would cook Tony's pizzas all the time. Her grandma had never really eaten any other pizza. So her opinion was limited to Tony's.
A few years back Christy and her parents took some pizza up to Christy's grandma's house. Her grandma loved the good pizza they brought, and she was never really satisfied with the Tony's pizza after that.
While we were talking about it, I got to thinking. (I know weird things set my mind off!) Anyway, I thought about how lots of Christians are like Christy's grandma. They don't realize there is something better out there. Sure they sit in the church pew. They throw a few dollars in the plate. They may even read a verse or two here and there at devotion time. But they don't realize there is something more to be had.
Jesus didn't come to save us just so we could sit in church and fall asleep every Sunday. He came to bring us "joy unspeakable and full of glory." (I Peter 1:8) He came to give us life "more abundantly." (John 10:10)
I don't know about you, but I don't see that kind of joy very often. I don't see people taking advantage of that abundant life Jesus gives. Why not? It's right there for the taking. Yet we are content to take the norm. We are satisfied with the everyday.
I for one, am not satisfied. I've seen God work in a major way. I've seen Him work miracles in lives. I've been in services where people just can't sit still because they are so full of joy. It sure beats falling asleep on a pew. Since I've had a taste of what else is out there, I'm not content with the old stuff anymore.
How about you? Have you grown complacent. Are you just going through the motions of Christianity? If you are, there is so much more out there. There's life to be lived. Don't just sit there. Go out and live it!!

8 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger batgirl said...

I know what you are saying and yes, once you've tasted the "better" you'll never be satisfied with the other again. My old church was a steady diet of boredom, condemnation and serving yourself to death. At my new church I've discovered that it's okay for Christians to LOVE going to church, to actually have fun worshipping and to serve out of love, not guilt. Sooooo much BETTER!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Amen, Heather!

Great devotional.

Suppose God gave us senses so we could smell the flowers, taste the strawberries, feel the touch of a loved one, hear the birds songs and see His glorious creation?

Go figure.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Great thoughts! There truly is something so much better. I was in college before I figured it out. Joy. Something to be utterly joyous about. Who knew?!?

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Amen Heather! Speak it sista!

It is too hard sitting still through life...as a matter of fact, I have experienced that you really can't sit still....if you are--you get dragged down by the enemy! It is so much safer and rewarding to live abundantly....love it! Joy unspeakable and full of glory. Just what I needed to read this afternoon to affirm what I posted this morning! Interesting how God speaks to us--He makes sure we hear him too!

Diane

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Chris Beason said...

Wow..who'd have thought you could explain it so easily with frozen pizza! The only reason we like Tony's is cause it's cheap! LOL! My vote is Digorno Deep Dish.

You're so right. Sometimes I wish I could pass out free samples they would actually try. Just one bite and I know they wouldn't be able to get enough!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Oh, Heather ... who else can debate over pizza and come up with such a great devotional but you!!!

You should work with Youth.

Never mind. You probably already do!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Oh ... see??? Susan thinks you should work with Youth too!

Great minds, I tell ya!!!

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, bottes ugg, coach outlet, toms shoes, swarovski, montre pas cher, hollister, doke gabbana outlet, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, canada goose outlet, wedding dresses, michael kors handbags, moncler, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg boots uk, canada goose, supra shoes, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, barbour jackets, doudoune canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, lancel, michael kors outlet online, sac louis vuitton pas cher, marc jacobs, barbour, moncler, karen millen, links of london, ugg pas cher, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, moncler, michael kors outlet, canada goose uk, moncler, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home