Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, September 11, 2006

RE-sensitizing now

Last night I was convicted...MAJORLY. First off my brother preached a great sermon on how it is NECESSARY that we share the Gospel. It isn't just something that we should do, it is something that WE HAVE to do! Check out these verses:
Luke 24:46-47, "46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."
Did you see that little word "behoved"? That means it was necessary. It was necessary that Christ must die and be our perfect sacrafice. It was necessary that He raise from the dead to defeat death, hell, and the grave. But look at that 47th verse, it says that it is necessary that repentance and remission of sins be preached. That's our job as Christians.
And I for one have fallen slack on the job. I don't share like I should. I don't care for souls like I should. Only 4% of my generations claims to know Christ as their Savior. That's only 40,000 out of every million teenage/young adult souls. 960,000 out of every million souls are dying and going to hell. That's reality folks. Hard reality.
And why have I fallen slack? Because I've allowed myself to become desensitized. I have gotten myself used to looking over a little sexual junk because the premise of a movie is basically good. I've gotten over people using foul language in everyday life even though it isn't something I would say or something I approve of. I've gotten used to same-sex couples being promoted on pretty much EVERY TV show as a normal lifestyle.
Sure at first I was offended, but then I found a little humor there too, and the more I watched it, the more I overlooked the sin. That's right I said sin.
I'm not here to judge, but I am here to say that I'm fed up of standing by and overlooking these things.
Last night after church a large group of us went to eat with my brother because he is leaving for school today. Some missionaries that were visiting our church went with us, and the children really convicted me. They saw a commercial for wrestling on TV, and they were like that's just awful. See, they've lived most of their life in Africa, away from modern conveniences and modern TV. They still see it as wrong to basically beat each other to death. I mean it's fake, it's acting. But how many stories have we seen on the news where some kid obsessed with wrestling or a violent video game has bludgeoned someone to death? It's stopped being wrong and has become everyday.
So, I'm making a stand today. If it has cussing in it, I'm NOT watching it or reading it or listening to it. If it has sexual scenes in it or sexual conotations in it, I'm NOT watching it, or reading it or listening to it. If it promotes homosexuality as a normal lifestyle, I'm NOT watching it or reading it or listening to it. If it promotes violence, I'm NOT watching it or reading it or listening to it.
Psalm 101:3 says, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."
I want that to be my testimony. I'm going to look into God's Word more and at the TV less. I'm going to get resensitized to sin and stop overlooking it!

5 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

You stand firm! I am continually blessed and amazed by your youthful wisdom! Direct from the Master's mouth....I would say!

Diane

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Heather you are so open when God speaks to your heart and not afraid to go with it! Good for you!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Good for you! I shake my head in amazement at the things we see, read and hear these days. The longer we allow ourselves to be exposed to it, the more acceptable it seems. Thanks for reminding me it's just not acceptable. At all.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Fred said...

As a civilization, we got along just fine without TV. It can be a major annoyance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home