Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Going Into Your Samaria

My brother preached at my church Sunday night, and he brought out a point that I hadn't ever really thought about. He brought a sermon out of John 4 where Jesus met the Samaritan woman at the well.
I'd always heard about how Jews weren't supposed to associate with Samaritans. Samaritans were considered beneath them. A Jew was supposed to go out of his way to avoid going through Samaria.
But Jesus said he, "must needs go through Samaria." And you want to know what, it wasn't even in his direction. He went OUT OF HIS WAY to go through the place that most avoided. He went out of His way to a place of discomfort in order to bring this woman the Water of Life.
Then my brother said something that really convicted me. He said, "How many times do you go out of your way to go through your Samaria?"
And I honestly had to say, "Oh me!" Because as much as we try to say that the Jews were being racist or terrible, how many of us are just like them. How many of us would drive 20 miles out of our way in order to avoid getting gas at the gas station in the bad part of town.
Now, I know that we all use the same excuses. "It's just not safe to go there." "The gas is cheaper at the nicer gas station." And those excuses may be true. The question is, if Jesus called you to go and stand by a gas pump and pump gas for strangers in a bad part of town, would you be willing to do it. Would you be willing to make yourself uncomfortable in order to win someone for Christ?
Before you say, "Well, Jesus isn't ask me to risk my life!" I have to say, our lives are not our own. And if Jesus calls us to do something, I believe He will offer His protection to us.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was convicted that I need to get more out of my comfort zone. I need to be more willing to go into my Samaria when I'm called there. (And we are all called there. After all Jesus included Samaria in His great comission in Acts 1:8.) Who knows, maybe you'll see me at the gas station someday!

4 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

We just studies this portion of scripture in our ladies bible study also. Very powerful when you think that Jesus did not care about the custom or tradition of the day and went out of His way.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I believe there's a great song in that message. It really hit home to me too. Yea, I'm willing to go, but do I just go when its easy and comfortable. Or am I willing to go out of my way out of my comfort zone int Samaria to "rescue" that one that needs to hear.That thirsty one. Thanks for your blessing today.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

I love how you've made it quite applicable to us today. If we are the body of Christ, then we will be doing things that are uncomfortable for us, but a show of love for others.

Jesus would shake his head at the way most of us are afraid to get dirty.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

Preach it sister! Your post really makes the point clear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home