Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Forget Not His Benefits

Well, despite the best of intentions to get back to normal posting, it just hasn't happened. Time seems to be going by in a whirlwind. In some ways that is very good (the end of the heartburn is near!) In other ways that is terrifying. Having her in my arms is going to bring a world of responsibility, but I know that God will be with me through each step.
I was having a bit of an emotional moment on Saturday night, stressing over the what if's. I had worked myself into quite a state, so I pulled out my Bible, and I began to pray that God would show me something He wanted me to see. The first verse I turned to was Isaiah 40:31, "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
I needed some renewed strength at that point. And the reminder that I didn't have to do this all in my strength was definitely from God. Then I got to looking at the reference Scriptures in the margin that Isaiah 40:31 went along with, and they took me to Psalm 103. And that is just where God wanted me to look.
See, Psalm 103 is a Psalm of praise. A Psalm to remind us of God's greatness. I couldn't get away from verse 2, "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:"
Forget not His benefits. Now, I don't know about you, but the first thing I do when I'm stressing is to start focusing on the negatives. And I believe Satan uses that to keep us discouraged. But Saturday night, I started a list of God's benefits. And you know what, I wasn't 5 or 6 items into that list before I started realizing that things weren't nearly as bad as they had seemed a few minutes before.
Why? Had the situation suddenly disappeared? No, I had just remembered that God is able. He's able to do whatever I need. He has blessed me time and time again. And He hasn't forgotten me. So there is no need to worry!
So today, I pray that you will remember His benefits. If you need to, take some time to just start your own list. I promise it will change your outlook!

4 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

How beautiful an illustration how God speaks to us, yes, even still today. It's as simple as opening our Bibles and our hearts...and seeking His guidance.

It is so easy....it is astonishing actually! Too often, I pray to hear from Him...while I busy myself trying to fix the very thing I want him to restore! I don't take my hands off the situation long enough to seriously seek Him. Your illustration is timely--it's off to my Bible I go!

Dian e

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

What a great lesson. I've had some moments like that lately and it's great to remember that no matter what our situation, God is there and able to get us through!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

Girl, you've got some great insight. Just what I needed to hear today. God is bigger than any trial set before me, great or small.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

No the situation has not changed or disappeared, but...He is able. If we could only keep that fact in view at all times.

I have noticed several bloggers on this same general theme these days. Something about entering a new year full of the unknown that causes us to look unto our Firm Foundation.

Blessings be multiplied to you, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home