Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, March 28, 2008

Well, We Didn't Get to Church, but We Met the Easter Bunny


Well, I'm sad to say it, but Alaena didn't spend her first Easter in church. She spent it in the hospital. And to say that I was a tad bit freaked out over that situation wouldn't be exaggerating.

See a few weeks back at her one month appointment we were told that she was underweight because she hadn't even gotten back to her birth weight yet. So we had a followup weight check appointment. At that appointment she had gained three ounces, so it was all good, but they made one more weight check appointment just to be sure.

Well at that appointment a week later, she had lost two ounces. Which apparently in baby world is a HUGE MAJOR deal. Because Alaena's pediatrician made the immediate decision that she needed to be admitted into the hospital because of ALL the things that COULD be wrong with her.

At this point of the weight check appointment I was wondering why I didn't have my mom come to the appointment with me, what with the fact that I was crying more than my 6 week old little girl and everything.

Anyway, we spent the better part of Good Friday in the Bad ER. Because some kind of error was made when the doctor called the hospital and rather than them telling her to send me straight to admissions for Alaena to be admitted to the pediatric unit, they sent me to the pediatric ER. Anyway, we finally reached a room by 10 pm Friday night (I had gotten to the hospital at around 4 pm.)

I watched as they drew blood from my poor little one's arm and then watched as they catherized her. Praise the Lord all of the tests came back normal. And it appears that Alaena will just be a slow gainer. And I hope the three nights she spent in the hospital over Easter weekend will be the last nights she spends there for a long time.

As much as I hated to see her go through all of that, I believe it made me love and appreciate her twice as much. And it made me pray even harder for those who have children who are battling serious diseases. After having seen just a glimpse of the torture they go through daily, I pray that God will give them an extra measure of strength and grace and peace.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know a little bit about what has been going on in the past few weeks. If you think of it, send up extra prayers for those who you know are living life with a sick child. And if you don't mind, pray that my little girl will continue to gain weight!

Oh, and about the picture, the Easter bunny came around and took pictures with all the little kids in the Pediatric unit. I'm not much on the Easter Bunny, because I'd rather focus on Christ's ressurection, but I wanted a cheery picture to remember Alaena's first Easter with since she didn't get to wear her pretty dress, and I think it turned out pretty cute!

5 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I'm so glad to hear everything turned out okay! I'll bet it was right scarey for you though. That was some long er wait!!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

Oh that poor sweet girl! It's horrible being the mom at times because you just want to make them better and you can't. But knowing that her Daddy has her in the palm of His hand makes things a tad bit more bearable.

Blessings on you all!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

It sounds like meeting the Bunny was a little difficult, but that precious little thing finally got the job done.

I don't know if you remember my blog, and me, but I am back to continual blogging again and I wanted to tell you that you encouraged me in the Lord in a time when I was not necessarily using my life to best glorify Him. Keep up the faithfulness, girl!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Oh! Bless her tiny little heart! And yours too, momma! It's worse for the parent than the child, isn't it! Praise God she's healthy!

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I was just catching up on little Alaena and you. She looks beautiful. I can't wait to hold her! I'm coming home April 25th for a Wedding shower, maybe we can get together... Love ya! -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home