Thirteen Verses That I've Read in the Past Week That Really Got My Attention
1. Revelation 21:4, " And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." We spoke about this one last night in youth. Just imagine, one day we will live with God eternally, and He will erase all pain, sorrow, and death from our lives!
2. Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I heard a preacher speak on this last Sunday. He said that we couldn't possibly live the Christian life on our own, but that with Christ's strength we can achieve any goal.
3. Acts 11:26, "And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch." My grandpa preached about this verse Sunday night. He spoke about the characteristics of a "true Christian." I want to strive to be like Christ so that I may deserve to be called a Christian.
4. Ephesians 4:25-30, "25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. 26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: 27 Neither give place to the devil. 28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. 29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." These are the verses we went over last night in youth. We're talking about the change Christ makes in you once you are saved. These verses tell it in a straightforward way.
5. Psalm 119:105, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." I read this in my Bible in 90 Days reading. This reminded me exactly why I'm trying to read more of His Word daily.
6. I John 1:8-2:2, "8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world." These are the verses from Shalee's Being Real post. It's an awesome post about God's forgivness that you all need to read!
7. Matthew 22:37-39, "37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. " These are some of the verses Susanne used in her Faith Lifts post the other day. This is a beautiful post about our first true purpose.
8. Hebrews 10:22, "Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water." I saw this one over at Amydeanne's blog in her In Other Words post for this week. It's a great post about how God wants a close relationship with us.
9. Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." This is the verse that I read in a Karen Kingsbury book. It's actually in almost all of her books, but the constant suttle reminder from her that God is in control of our lives is a great thing.
10. Galatians 3:26-27, "26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ." This is a verse that Janet used in her post about how much God loves us in spite of our failures! Definitely a post you should check out!
11. I Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" This is the verse currently highlighted at Simeon's Promise'swebsite. As Christians we should always know what we believe and have a pure life so that we can be ready to give an answer to those around us at any time.
12. Proverbs 31:30, "Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised." This is also one from my Bible in 90 Days reading. This is a very well known verse, but it's one I need to hear often because it reminds me that being a Godly woman is worth it.
13. Ecclesiastes 3:1, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" This was also in my Bible in 90 Days reading. I need to be reminded constantly that God has a perfect time for everything, and that I need to wait on His timing!
I hope these verses have blessed you like that have me! Have a good one!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants